There was an attempt.

So I finally successfully used a 3D printer.

Kind of.

I was pretty excited when we were told we’d be using the 3D printers. I’d heard so much about them.

They seemed so cool. So magical.

And tbh, they live up to the hype.

BUT..magicalness aside, they’re also slightly terrifying.

Totally

 

There’s a lot of things you have to be aware of before using one. The heat, leveling, covering of the board. And this is all after you figure out everything with the software.

Which I also discovered wasn’t as easy as I’d once assumed (I’ll touch more on this in my next blog entry)

For this print, we were told to find something we’d like to print. So I hopped on Thingiverse.com and started looking around. I had expected this to be the easy part but there was so many things I had problems choosing.

Eventually I paused and asked myself “yo what do you like?”

The answer?

Completely unnecessary A+ image of my swag.

Yes! Sailor Moon!

And equipped with this theme, I managed to find this cutie to print:

Cutest stylus ever, right?

I loaded it up on my SD card and Thursday evening I went into to print.

And failed.

About three times. I don’t have images but it basically came out as a tiny ball of plastic. Luckily we were able to see it was going to fail before it got too far. So waste was kept to a minimum.

The issue turned out to be supports. I needed them. Now that I look at it again, I can see why. Lesson learned, always check for that before printing.

After this was all figured and I was assisted with adding them in, printing went fairly well.

WOOOO

I ended up with a nice finished product. With the supports still intact. Before I left the lab I got some of the supports off but not all. It was getting late and I needed to get home.

Fast forward to Friday now. I decide to finish removing the supports.

cry.

Yes. I managed to remove all the supports. But also broke it in the process.
Another lesson learned. Be more careful.

Regardless, this was a good learning experience. And even snapped in half, it’s still a really cute print.

Super cute!



2 responses to “There was an attempt.”

  1. Rosemary Arneson says:

    People have had good luck in previous semesters gluing printed pieces together with a hot glue gun. We have several in the ThinkLab.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

css.php